I'm back to my early morning bike rides. Although the sun isn't fully awake, the sky is light and the birds have started their songs of praise. I am enjoying the crisp air biting at my ears, my hands, and knees. I have just reached my highest destination for the morning and have started the downward trail. As I am rounding the corner for the bike path, about forty feet in front me comes a skittish coyote. He's lanky, with short tan fur, and gallops with his hind legs lopping to the side. He's got a steady pace, although it looks uneven. He's not too sure about what to make of me, especially as I seem to be in hot pursuit of him. I decide to have some fun, after all I'm the one on the bike, so I speed up attempting to close the gain he has on me. But he keeps an eye out for me by peering over his right shoulder to make sure I am still in the distance. Up ahead he finds relief. There's a bridge to the other side of the trail and he quickly darts across. I had to chuckle, as now I have closed in on his lead, and find him giving up the chase as he stops to rest and probably get on with his task of scavenging for food. But I think I wore him out a bit and surprised him with my zeal. Oh, what fun to play and interact with nature, and chase my first coyote!
My eye caught a small round mound stuck upon a branch. Looking closer, I found indeed it was the start of a hummingbird nest. And yes, I now had the mother hummingbird buzzing around my head, reminding me that I was in her space. I have been able to witness at least 3 other hummingbird families come to life, and I was always mesmerized by these "tiny vulnerabilities" becoming resilient birds in only a matter of five to six weeks. The nest was right out my patio door, and I had the best view to watch them daily. I was smiling. I had a hunch that babies would be coming soon, because our hummingbird feeder had been especially sucked dry only a few weeks earlier. One day I found at least 4 hummingbirds at one time feeding, which is highly unusual because most times they come one at a time and don't seem to want to share the space. If they would share, it was two only at a the bar and of course on opposite sides. I was filling that feeder at le...
Comments
Post a Comment