Skip to main content

Waves


I love going to the beach. I had forgotten how much I love the hot sand, the salty breeze, and the beautiful blue Pacific. Each time that I have been there this summer has reminded me again how much I enjoy it. I can never get enough of watching the pelicans fly overhead in their perfect "check mark" formation or of looking out to see dolphins jump and frolic in the waves. Yet, the best part is getting in the
waves . . .

The ocean's warmth first bites you with surprise. Just when you think you're hot enough to finally take the plunge, the cool water splashing against your feet reminds you still that it will take at least a moment to get use to it. It's often easier to take the plunge and jump right in. After that initial shock of cold, you don't seem to mind it any time after. It was that kind of day that I enjoyed so much with my sister-in-law. The waves were just my type, easy and predictable to read, really very gentle and inviting. We had so much fun running in, jumping in, floating in, swimming in each wave that came. Laughter played along with us, especially if one of us ended up by doing a somersault toss in the foamy surf. Yes, we collected sand in parts we never thought of, but oh, what fun!

I'm so glad God made ocean waves for us. They remind me of his love and grace that always is flowing toward us. All we have to do is just jump in and receive what he has given. Life is meant for joy and laughter, even in the ebb and flow of time. Joy and peace in Him will keep us riding waves . . . like champions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hummingbird Lessons

My eye caught a small round mound stuck upon a branch.  Looking closer, I found indeed it was the start of a hummingbird nest.  And yes, I now had the mother hummingbird buzzing around my head, reminding me that I was in her space.  I have been able to witness at least 3 other hummingbird families come to life, and I was always mesmerized by these "tiny vulnerabilities" becoming resilient birds in only a matter of five to six weeks.  The nest was right out my patio door, and I had the best view to watch them daily.  I was smiling. I had a hunch that babies would be coming soon, because our hummingbird feeder had been especially sucked dry only a few weeks earlier.  One day I found at least 4 hummingbirds at one time feeding, which is highly unusual because most times they come one at a time and don't seem to want to share the space.  If they would share, it was two only at a the bar and of course on opposite sides.  I was filling that feeder at le...

Last of the Mohicans

Glenny, Jerry, and Bobby were the brothers of my Mother Verna.  I'm not sure why she seemed to always attach a "y ending" to their names, but it stuck with her and even them, regardless of their grown up years.  She also did it with my brothers, Johnny and Petey.  Maybe it was just a term of loving endearment in her big sister and motherly role.  No doubt it has happened once again this past week, as she welcomed her baby brother Bobby into his heavenly home. . .   Uncle Bob was probably the one brother I knew best from Mom's family.  Growing up, it seemed that we didn't always have a chance to spend a lot of time with her side of the family.  Grandma had died in her mid 50's of breast cancer, and although I was told that I was named after her, I arrived too late to ever have known her.  I only see her in the picture hanging on my wall.  Times spent with Grandpa and Uncle Jerry were limited due to lack of accommodations in their home....

Complicated Relationship Living

Today is Mom's birthday.  If she were here,  we would be celebrating her 109th day of life.  I can't believe that it has already been 20 years since she said goodbye to earthly living.   I was much too young back then, at the age of 45, to lose my Mom.  You always long for at least one more conversation to ask the questions you didn't get a chance to do.  You often wished you would have had more talks, especially as you find yourself on a different side of life, other wise known as the senior years. As parents we always desire to keep our family ties together and close, but it doesn't always work out that way.  When our  parents were still living, and as they grew more elderly, they of course were the bond that brought my brothers and myself together.  As adult children, we each had a unique relationship to them, but I am realizing now, that we didn't necessarily have a tie with one another.  We were children of the nuclear family, ...