Skip to main content

Tsunami


I'm back! After months and months of empty pages, when I excused myself by saying that I had no time to write. No, I could not bring myself to write. But today, I'm ready to overflow the page with my heart and soul. It's always interesting to me how there is a definite season to write. Writing can never be forced, even if you want to express something at least for relief. It just won't happen, until it's time, just like you can't hold back the ocean tide. . .

For months, I have ridden in the waves. Or rather, I've been drowning in the sea, tossed and driven in the rough. When I thought that things were calmer and I was ready for the shore, another gigantic breaker would hit that forced me to dive directly into it or be pounded into the sand by my foolish self reluctance. Especially, in these summer weeks, I have felt caught in the rip tides of life. If you ever have been in one, there is no easy way out. You often have to go with the current as it takes you further out and then swim parallel until you can get back in. Recently, I felt I was swept by waves that were the backwash of a real tsunami. It is really hard to imagine and realize the power of such a wave. But I have seen enough with the world's recent disasters to humbly respect the power of the sea. . .

Yet, it is for this time that my Savior would have me be. I've realized being a person of control, I am no match for the rhythm of the waves. You can't hold back the sea. You have no control of an other's choices, even if that choice is unjust, unfair toward you. No, you may fight it for awhile, but the treading in the water quickly tires you. You only stand to gain muscle and stomach cramps. It's easier to lie afloat and let the wave surround you. . .

Lying back means trust, resting in my Savior's hands. Trusting that he knew this passage of life would hit and it would be okay. That is so amazing to me, that God in his infinite plan and care for me has said these breakers are OK for me. In fact, they will make me more like him. They will bring me grace and mercy that I could know no other way. Yes, they will be his blessings in disguise. . .

The other Sunday, we sang a song at church I had never heard before. It was about "walking on ocean waves." To be honest, I never equated walking on water as walking on OCEAN waves. That would seem impossible, yet that is the power of my Savior. He not only lifts my head up but can empower me to walk the mighty surf. So I'll walk with my hands and head lifted up, my eyes on him, and enjoy the sea that he's prepared for me.


"Let him who walks in the dark, who has no light, trust in the name of the Lord and rely on his God."
(Isaiah 50:10)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hummingbird Lessons

My eye caught a small round mound stuck upon a branch.  Looking closer, I found indeed it was the start of a hummingbird nest.  And yes, I now had the mother hummingbird buzzing around my head, reminding me that I was in her space.  I have been able to witness at least 3 other hummingbird families come to life, and I was always mesmerized by these "tiny vulnerabilities" becoming resilient birds in only a matter of five to six weeks.  The nest was right out my patio door, and I had the best view to watch them daily.  I was smiling. I had a hunch that babies would be coming soon, because our hummingbird feeder had been especially sucked dry only a few weeks earlier.  One day I found at least 4 hummingbirds at one time feeding, which is highly unusual because most times they come one at a time and don't seem to want to share the space.  If they would share, it was two only at a the bar and of course on opposite sides.  I was filling that feeder at le...

Last of the Mohicans

Glenny, Jerry, and Bobby were the brothers of my Mother Verna.  I'm not sure why she seemed to always attach a "y ending" to their names, but it stuck with her and even them, regardless of their grown up years.  She also did it with my brothers, Johnny and Petey.  Maybe it was just a term of loving endearment in her big sister and motherly role.  No doubt it has happened once again this past week, as she welcomed her baby brother Bobby into his heavenly home. . .   Uncle Bob was probably the one brother I knew best from Mom's family.  Growing up, it seemed that we didn't always have a chance to spend a lot of time with her side of the family.  Grandma had died in her mid 50's of breast cancer, and although I was told that I was named after her, I arrived too late to ever have known her.  I only see her in the picture hanging on my wall.  Times spent with Grandpa and Uncle Jerry were limited due to lack of accommodations in their home....

Am I The Rose or The Weed?

Picking the newest blossom from the bush, I saw that the rose was full, yet not completely open.  Pink edges were tightly bound in the center of the bud and soft petals framed around it were just beginning to unfold.  The rose wore the morning dew and brought to me the sweetest scent.  Yes, it would be the one to grace our dining table for lunch.  Then I found myself wondering out loud, am I the rose or the weed? Roses are so inviting, their beauty beckons you to come and view them close.  Their aroma pulls you right up to them, to deeply breathe their fragrance.  Each day they give you another picture as they effortlessly open and burst with blossom.  Mmm, I wonder if I have that same attraction?  Does my heart give off an aroma in which others want to be around me? Or am I like that pesky weed that just shows up in places of its selfish whims, always trying to outgrow the plant? A rose is such a paradox, for its beauty rests upon a thorny...