Skip to main content

Aftermath

Aftermath


After the rain has stopped,

After the snow has fallen,

After the leaves have dropped face down,

After the colored lights have dimmed,

After the carols have all been sung,

After the bows untied, the packages unwrapped,

After all the Christmas cookies are gone, 

After it's all over,

What remains? 


 Aftermath,

The pause between now and then,

The break between past and future, 

The mystery of the known and unknown,

The New Year unfamiliar, the Old Year much too recognizable,

What now?

Where do I go from here?


 Aftermath,

Picking up the pieces of the undone, the unfinished,

Put simply, living in the same manner,

Pursuing peace and goodness,

Practicing love for God, myself and others.

Praying for greater faith to believe that even in my aftermath,

Emmanuel is with me,

Even if I don't recognize his Faithful Presence.

 


Aftermath,
 
 An interrupted night,
 
A flock of sheep left unattended,
 
A chorus of angelic beings proclaiming the birth of a saving King,
 
A chance to see that newborn babe,
 
All filled those shepherds with fear and joy.
 
But away they went,
 
Bound to be a witness of God Himself,
 
Bringing nothing but themselves to His lowly bed of straw,
 
Breaking forth with praise for all they heard and saw,
 
An aftermath indeed, one for all the ages! 

Hallelujah, what a Savior!
 

 
 
 
 

 

 

 

 



 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hummingbird Lessons

My eye caught a small round mound stuck upon a branch.  Looking closer, I found indeed it was the start of a hummingbird nest.  And yes, I now had the mother hummingbird buzzing around my head, reminding me that I was in her space.  I have been able to witness at least 3 other hummingbird families come to life, and I was always mesmerized by these "tiny vulnerabilities" becoming resilient birds in only a matter of five to six weeks.  The nest was right out my patio door, and I had the best view to watch them daily.  I was smiling. I had a hunch that babies would be coming soon, because our hummingbird feeder had been especially sucked dry only a few weeks earlier.  One day I found at least 4 hummingbirds at one time feeding, which is highly unusual because most times they come one at a time and don't seem to want to share the space.  If they would share, it was two only at a the bar and of course on opposite sides.  I was filling that feeder at le...

Awe

  The thunder resounded with a loud clap! Certainly, it came as an afternoon surprise.  The expected rain seemed less than what was forecasted, but with the thunder came a bucket of heavy raindrops splashing against my kitchen window.  I wanted to take it all in, the fresh aroma of falling rain and the beauty of water drops hitting the leaves of my nasturtium and petunia hanging baskets.  Unfortunately, the rain cloud quickly fled, running away into the eastern sky.  But then the sun made its way onto the scene, and I was drawn to a thick band of rainbow colors shining up at me.  The western sky was magnificently orange, completely bound up tight with that solo color scheme.  I went outside to catch it all before it would disappear.  Creation again was causing me to pause in awe and wonder. . . Awe is that reverential wonder, that even includes fear and respect.  It is only a 3 letter word, but it takes bigger and grander words to define it....

Complicated Relationship Living

Today is Mom's birthday.  If she were here,  we would be celebrating her 109th day of life.  I can't believe that it has already been 20 years since she said goodbye to earthly living.   I was much too young back then, at the age of 45, to lose my Mom.  You always long for at least one more conversation to ask the questions you didn't get a chance to do.  You often wished you would have had more talks, especially as you find yourself on a different side of life, other wise known as the senior years. As parents we always desire to keep our family ties together and close, but it doesn't always work out that way.  When our  parents were still living, and as they grew more elderly, they of course were the bond that brought my brothers and myself together.  As adult children, we each had a unique relationship to them, but I am realizing now, that we didn't necessarily have a tie with one another.  We were children of the nuclear family, ...