Skip to main content

My Own Worst Enemy

I just don't get it.  One minute, I am swinging the golf club consistently and landing in the fairway, and in the matter of just a few holes, I have collapsed.  My demise started setting in as I grew more self conscious with my stupid shots.  No one really goes onto the course planning to make terrible shanks and hooks.  And usually, even if you have done that you do have a sense of what you did wrong.  But none the less, it leaves you feeling even more frustrated with what you thought would be a super fun day.

That's when it starts, it resonates in my head.  Those negative tapes of self.  I'm not sure why or where that all stems from, but maybe it has come from growing up somewhat in a fishbowl and finding yourself compared so often to others.  But perhaps it is a part of who I am, a hard critic of myself, with no else to blame or fault.  I am my own worst enemy. . .

Of course, when we feel vulnerable we build defenses.  So what is a golfing wife supposed to do?  Blame her mentor husband!  If he had just not joined up with those other golfers. . . after all there is already too much testosterone on the line when just playing golf with him, let alone adding others.  How can I really take my time for shots, when I have that audience staring through my swing?  And please, do I really need to hear "good shot" when it's obviously to the left and out of play? No, that wasn't him who said that, but those "others" who now play with us.  It all becomes appeasement to me, my joy is robbed, and I am ready to pick up my club and just go home.  Amazing how my head begins to rule my game, I am my own worst enemy . . . 

Back out on the driving range, I find peace and solace in my practice.  I am oblivious to those who shoot around me.  I find that hitting balls in the heat strikes the sting out of me that tends to bite the one especially close to me, that ol' husband of mine.  I am my own worst enemy . . .

But today is a new day, another course.  Golf plays out so much like life to me, I think that is why I can't give up.  Yes, you can have those days when all goes south and you lash out at others as you lose your swing.  But there's hope, for there is always another round to play, a different course, another chance to drive the ball straight down the line.  Plus, I do learn more from my failures and bad shots.  In spite of a shot gone wrong, it's a challenge to make it turn out right.  Scrambling and grinding it out is just as much a part of the game as hitting it always right.  And the reality is, even the pro's have their "yucky" days, even they can blow a perfect lead.  The game is much more in your head than what you think . . . you are your own worst enemy!

It's a beautiful course, with scenic holes, with hilltop tees, and rolling greens.  I am playing golf, I am in the game.  I'm not a spectator, I am in the heat of the match.  I've embraced the enemy my self, and have a better frame of mind.  My husband is still my mentor, my best friend, whose words are there for me to learn from and not to use as bait for my self's demise.  

The secret to life's game is to stop being your own worst enemy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hummingbird Lessons

My eye caught a small round mound stuck upon a branch.  Looking closer, I found indeed it was the start of a hummingbird nest.  And yes, I now had the mother hummingbird buzzing around my head, reminding me that I was in her space.  I have been able to witness at least 3 other hummingbird families come to life, and I was always mesmerized by these "tiny vulnerabilities" becoming resilient birds in only a matter of five to six weeks.  The nest was right out my patio door, and I had the best view to watch them daily.  I was smiling. I had a hunch that babies would be coming soon, because our hummingbird feeder had been especially sucked dry only a few weeks earlier.  One day I found at least 4 hummingbirds at one time feeding, which is highly unusual because most times they come one at a time and don't seem to want to share the space.  If they would share, it was two only at a the bar and of course on opposite sides.  I was filling that feeder at le...

Last of the Mohicans

Glenny, Jerry, and Bobby were the brothers of my Mother Verna.  I'm not sure why she seemed to always attach a "y ending" to their names, but it stuck with her and even them, regardless of their grown up years.  She also did it with my brothers, Johnny and Petey.  Maybe it was just a term of loving endearment in her big sister and motherly role.  No doubt it has happened once again this past week, as she welcomed her baby brother Bobby into his heavenly home. . .   Uncle Bob was probably the one brother I knew best from Mom's family.  Growing up, it seemed that we didn't always have a chance to spend a lot of time with her side of the family.  Grandma had died in her mid 50's of breast cancer, and although I was told that I was named after her, I arrived too late to ever have known her.  I only see her in the picture hanging on my wall.  Times spent with Grandpa and Uncle Jerry were limited due to lack of accommodations in their home....

Complicated Relationship Living

Today is Mom's birthday.  If she were here,  we would be celebrating her 109th day of life.  I can't believe that it has already been 20 years since she said goodbye to earthly living.   I was much too young back then, at the age of 45, to lose my Mom.  You always long for at least one more conversation to ask the questions you didn't get a chance to do.  You often wished you would have had more talks, especially as you find yourself on a different side of life, other wise known as the senior years. As parents we always desire to keep our family ties together and close, but it doesn't always work out that way.  When our  parents were still living, and as they grew more elderly, they of course were the bond that brought my brothers and myself together.  As adult children, we each had a unique relationship to them, but I am realizing now, that we didn't necessarily have a tie with one another.  We were children of the nuclear family, ...