Skip to main content

Sunday Rain

I think my days are best lived in the rain.  There is something peaceful and reassuring about watery liquid falling from the sky.  It leaves such a fresh scent and soothes the driest patch of soil.  The sound is calming and seems to bring a thoughtful hush to my mind and heart.  I find myself looking up into the rain, searching for the clouds of gray.  There is no visible break, the clouds surround my world . . . and with them, comes the rain.

I think I have gone through life living under an umbrella.  Perhaps, I have shielded myself from pain and hurt that comes from others' choices.  I have tried to even stretch myself to protect the ones offended.  But the reality is the choice has stood despite my feeble efforts of restraint, calm or help.  I'm viewed enabling and the reason for many failed attempts.  So, it's time to close the umbrella and let the rain just fall . . . 

Sometimes, we hang on to hope especially if we have a selfish motive.  I have realized more and more with life, one has to let go of dreams, desires and "what ifs."  We fool ourselves thinking that life will get much better.  No, I think life becomes more cluttered with pain and crowded with strain.  Trials and tribulations seem to be what we embrace.  So I'm walking slowly in the rain, feeling cold and wet, allowing my heart to hurt again.

Abandoning outcomes, letting go of what I never had control of to begin with, is the path I need to take.  Realizing too that I have failed, I am so far from perfect, and that I will never fully attain all that I should be.  That too, I must let go of.  It's interesting that even in my older years, I realize there are still childhood dreams and wishes I had hoped to fill, and yet I wonder why am I still striving after all of that?  I think I long for reassurance that things will be alright, perhaps that is why this present rain seems to bring a sense of peace. . .   

Peace comes in the practice of solitude with the One who's known as the Prince of Peace.  His life was not a pleasant path, my comfort is knowing that He was rejected as well.  He has allowed the rain to fall, but has chosen to walk with me these days.  Sunday rain has come for me to feel, but to find real Peace . . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hummingbird Lessons

My eye caught a small round mound stuck upon a branch.  Looking closer, I found indeed it was the start of a hummingbird nest.  And yes, I now had the mother hummingbird buzzing around my head, reminding me that I was in her space.  I have been able to witness at least 3 other hummingbird families come to life, and I was always mesmerized by these "tiny vulnerabilities" becoming resilient birds in only a matter of five to six weeks.  The nest was right out my patio door, and I had the best view to watch them daily.  I was smiling. I had a hunch that babies would be coming soon, because our hummingbird feeder had been especially sucked dry only a few weeks earlier.  One day I found at least 4 hummingbirds at one time feeding, which is highly unusual because most times they come one at a time and don't seem to want to share the space.  If they would share, it was two only at a the bar and of course on opposite sides.  I was filling that feeder at le...

Last of the Mohicans

Glenny, Jerry, and Bobby were the brothers of my Mother Verna.  I'm not sure why she seemed to always attach a "y ending" to their names, but it stuck with her and even them, regardless of their grown up years.  She also did it with my brothers, Johnny and Petey.  Maybe it was just a term of loving endearment in her big sister and motherly role.  No doubt it has happened once again this past week, as she welcomed her baby brother Bobby into his heavenly home. . .   Uncle Bob was probably the one brother I knew best from Mom's family.  Growing up, it seemed that we didn't always have a chance to spend a lot of time with her side of the family.  Grandma had died in her mid 50's of breast cancer, and although I was told that I was named after her, I arrived too late to ever have known her.  I only see her in the picture hanging on my wall.  Times spent with Grandpa and Uncle Jerry were limited due to lack of accommodations in their home....

Complicated Relationship Living

Today is Mom's birthday.  If she were here,  we would be celebrating her 109th day of life.  I can't believe that it has already been 20 years since she said goodbye to earthly living.   I was much too young back then, at the age of 45, to lose my Mom.  You always long for at least one more conversation to ask the questions you didn't get a chance to do.  You often wished you would have had more talks, especially as you find yourself on a different side of life, other wise known as the senior years. As parents we always desire to keep our family ties together and close, but it doesn't always work out that way.  When our  parents were still living, and as they grew more elderly, they of course were the bond that brought my brothers and myself together.  As adult children, we each had a unique relationship to them, but I am realizing now, that we didn't necessarily have a tie with one another.  We were children of the nuclear family, ...